Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Royal Copenhagen



Well, here I am trying my hand at painting Royal Copenhagen china. Copenhagen is the home of this exceptionally beautiful porcelain china. They have a store located on the main shopping street and upstairs is a museum and demonstration area where you can try your hand at painting. Notice that the piece I'm working on is chipped. They don't let people practice on the good stuff.

I met a lovely woman named Herdis. She has painted the florals on Royal Copenhagen for 40 years. They recently moved the factory outside of town and she did not want to make the long commute or move so she opted to stay in town and demonstrate for visitors. I had a wonderful conversation with Herdis about art and learned that there was an art supply store just across the street. I would never have seen it though without her mentioning it because it was upstairs on the second floor. An artists second favorite place after art museums is art stores!

Royal Copenhagen china is very expensive and you understand why when you sit down and realize that every piece is completely painted by hand. They follow patterns and color guides that have been passed down for years. The results are exquisite. I couldn't afford to buy a piece but it will always catch my eye and remind me of Denmark when every I happen across a piece in the future.

What I'm working on today: Heading downtown to the gallery to work on the car painting. Oh yeah, today it also my birthday, a big one, 50, I don't look a day over 30 though, right?