Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Copenhagen, Rosenborg Castle




I'm back in Dayton. Today's blog subject is more about my trip to Copenhagen. I have copied a part of my journal that I kept while I was there and it is below for all to enjoy!

Journal entry from Copenhagen, May 1, 2007;
I returned to Rosenborg Castle today and it was open. It is a beautiful Dutch Renaissance castle with a moat surrounding it with swans and ducks on the grounds.  It is located in the middle of the King's Garden.  It was built by Christian IV as a summer residence.  He loved it so much that he ended up living and dying there.  It is the only royal castle that is still passed down from monarch to monarch.  All of the others became property of the state in 1849 when the absolute monarchy was abolished.  More on the monarchy in a minute.  The first part of the castle that you visit is the reception chamber of the King.  It is rather small, very dark with low ceilings and paneled in oak with oil paintings of various people and places constructed inside each of many panels.  Off of this is the King's writing chamber left almost entirely as it was the day he died.  Next on the diagram was the toilet!  I'm thinking this means the dressing chamber, right?  It does but it also included the real toilet. Interesting window into 17th century life in the royal household.  It was a very small oddly shaped room that was covered from ceiling to floor in Delft blue tiles except for the seat with a piece of wood with the hole cut in it.  If you looked in the hole you could see a ladder that descended into a rather deep pit.  Thank heaven for modern plumbing.  Can't imagine this part of life back then. Cleaning the bathroom takes on a whole a whole new meaning doesn't it? 
 
The dressing room displayed some of the King's clothing and a portrait of him on his deathbed which definitely presented interesting logistical questions to an artist like me.  Did they have a canvas stretched, ready and awaiting his death?  Did the artist paint the face and finish the rest of the painting later? How long do you spend painting a dead person?  How long CAN you spend painting a dead person in 17th century Scandinavia?  Luckily these types of things have lost favor in the modern world and I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it!!!
 
The monarchy just added another princess to their ranks last Saturday.  She was born to Australian born Crown Princess Mary and her husband Crown Prince Frederick.  They fired a 21 gun salute to celebrate her birth.  It used to be only 17 for a princess but was made equal just before the birth of her 18 month old brother Prince Christian.  The name of the new princess will not be made public until her christening which probably won't be for 3 months.  Margrethe, Henrietta and Ingrid have been mentioned as possible choices.  This is the first girl born to the royal family in six decades. You go girl!
 
I wanted to sit on a bench in the park and paint the castle but with a sore throat and it being so chilly I opted to take photographs quickly and then find a nice warm cafe.  There is a bakery/cafe on every corner here.  The one I found today was small as they all are.  It had 6 small tables... very cozy. I tried a piece of broccoli focaccia...delicious...with hot tea.  The tea here is wonderful.  I've not seen a Lipton bag yet.  Earl Grey is the standard(my favorite) and most of it is fresh loose tea.  I'm in heaven!  I noticed that a lot of the locals stop in for a single roll as a snack and you see many small kids munching on a peice of fresh bread too.

What I'm working on today: I'm moving the 5x7' car painting down to the gallery for the open house this Friday. I have to rent a truck to do it because of the size of the painting. The peonies are just beginning to bloom so I'll begin a study in oil.

Urdan Nights is this Friday, May 18 from 5-10pm. Many downtown businesses open there doors for a city wide open house. Our gallery at 434 E. Third Street will be open from 5-10pm with a live jazz band from 7-10pm. Stop by and see the car painting! Let me know that you read my blogspot and I'll give you a free notecard.

All images on this blogspot are copyrighted and may not be used without written permission of the artist.