Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sunflowers

I always like to have four to five paintings in the works, all at different stages of development. That way you never get stuck. If you run into a problem with one painting you just put it aside and work on another. I believe that putting paintings aside gives you a chance to mull things over and come back with fresh eyes and ways to solve problems. I had to make a trip to Cincinnati today. On the way home I stopped at Treadway Gardens and bought some sunflowers that were just cut from the field. They were the ones with the bright yellow centers. I stuck them in a great metal pitcher that I found last week and got a new painting underway. I will work on it tomorrow first thing because the leaves on sunflowers only last a few days before they start to schrivel up.

I attended the artists meeting tonight at the Cannery Art & Design Center. The gallery space there has just undergone some remodeling which is now complete. It's a great place to view art. The space is now filled with about 35 artists. Our next open house "First Friday" event is coming up on Friday, August 3 from 5-10pm.