Thursday, September 12, 2013

Planes, Trains and Buses


I think that no matter how often you travel you never get used to the stress and confusion of moving from one point to the next, especially when it is across continents.

Our return trip from Rome to Dayton began in the morning, early, just outside of our hotel near The Pantheon.  We took a taxi across town to Termini Station to catch the bus to Fiumicino Airport.  Termini Station is the main bus terminal for all buses
within the city of Rome so there are local and regional buses leaving from this huge terminal.  How can a taxi driver not know where to drop a passenger off for the buses to the airport? Ah, I forgot, we are in Rome where everything is laid back.

After a walk to the side of the terminal that looked familiar we waited in a large que for a couple minutes until a porter asked to see our tickets and said, “Noh, thes is not our company. Your’s es don that way.” Alright, down we walked to the correct que.  “Yes sir, this is the right place.  You just missed the bus to the airport, but the next one will be here soon.”

It was a beautiful sunny day in Roma. Our bus arrived. We settled in for the 40-minute ride.  Nice, we rode past the Coliseum and then the monument to Victor Emanuele.  We made a stop to pick up a few people.  Very nice, we were having a little farewell tour of the city.  We continue and drive past Piazza Campo de’ Fiori. Wait, are we stopping again? Are you serious, we just drove past the Pantheon. Stupido, next time, make sure to check the bus route. We just drove past our hotel!

We arrive at Fiumicino Airport and pull into the exact same parking space we left from a few days ago.  Familiar looking places make one feel confident!  Inside we go.  Hmm, United Airlines must be here somewhere but I don’t see any of the big airlines. Let’s ask the security guard.  “Ah, yes, go back outside, turn right and it’s all the way to the end.” She hollers as we walk away, “and there’s a shuttle bus that goes there.”  Can we walk to the end? How far is it to the end? Let’s be safe, if she mentioned a shuttle, we should take the shuttle.  Thank heavens we took the shuttle.

Every country has different security procedures.  We check in and are pre-screened through security where they check our passports.  We turn the corner and now get to go through regular security.  I know the drill.  Computer out of the bag, liquids out, shoes off. “Lady your don’t have to take your shoes off.”  “Pronto”, the guard says (that means hurry up).  I have one shoe off and one shoe in the tub. Do I take the other shoe off or put the other one back on? “Just go through with one shoe lady.” Ei, yi, yi. 

We are at the gate finally with 30 minutes to spare. Only in Rome do you have Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Hermes, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, Armani, Moncler and Tods in the airport and one coffee shop. I am starving by now. I head to the counter and yeah, I’m third in line and there are two clerks. I’m salivating as I stand in front of the case with the prosciutto and cheese sandwiches on fresh baguettes. One last cappucinno and a croissant for breakfast and I’ll pick up one of those sandwiches too.  Why is this line taking so long? I’m so hungry. “Next please.” Like a magnet out of nowhere 20 people step in front of me. Are you kidding? I knew I should have gone to the other line.  I knew the guy in front of me was leaving too much space in front of him.  Have I learned nothing about lines in crowded airports? Am I a moron? Just get the food and move on.  OK, food in my arms I walk to my waiting husband and hand him his share. Oh no. The bag I’ve been clutching in the crook of my arm is greasy.  Oh no, my new, so very chic orange leather bracelet that I got yesterday in Pienza has butter stains on it from the croissant.  Why? Why? Why?  After 31 years of marriage my husband has grown to be a very smart man. He walks away… to go get a newspaper to read on the plane.  By the time he returns I have removed the bracelet and stored it in my backpack or else it will continue to irritate me the entire trip home. 

Boarding call.  We are in the 5th and final group of people to board the plane. I could have guessed that.

Now we are cooking, yes sir. We are in the air, reasonably comfy, just had that great sandwich and I’m reading The International Herald Tribune. I feel so smart.  Uhh, wow, turbulence. I feel hot.  I feel funny. I feel sick.  Where’s the bag cause I feel real sick. No bag, but the stewardess is right here.  I frantically grope at her side to ask for a bag. “What, have you never been through a little turbulence before? Have you never flown before? Lady you just need to relax?” Within seconds the passenger to my right puts a bag in front of my face. She understands the urgency of this matter. “Thank you so much!” Eventually the feeling passes.  Arrivederci Roma!

Now let’s see where do I want to go next… 

Trevi Fountain - toss a coin in to ensure your return visit to Rome.  This beautiful Baroque fountain was built in the 1700's.  They collect about 1000 euro a day from this fountain.  It is guarded by cameras mounted on surrounding buildings and police on foot who blow their whistle if you begin to climb on it or attempt to enter the water.  They regularly catch people with magnets on poles sucking up coins.