Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Monet's Garden in Giverny and Musee de l'Orangerie in Paris


The Gardens
It was truly an exciting moment for me to walk the same paths and see the same vistas that Claude Monet nurtured and painted for 43 years of his life.  I was walking where he had walked. I was standing in the same places where he had stood and painted.  I was looking out onto the same gardens that he had found so inspiring.  I was seeing things in the same light that he spent a lifetime capturing. You can study all the books you care to and stand in front of as many of his paintings as you can get to, but as a painter there is a powerful energy that surrounds you when you are standing in Monet’s Garden.


















I saw the endless number of paintings waiting to be painted there. I understood how he never tired of painting the same views over and over. Nature never repeats itself, not in a leaf, a flower or the arch of a tree branch. It may be similar but it’s never exactly the same. The light is always changing, as are the seasons. Anyone that’s ever painted outside, en plein aire, knows this.


The Paintings 
My trip to Giverny was followed the next day by a visit to Musée de l'Orangerie, an art gallery of impressionist and post-impressionist paintings located in the west corner of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris. Over the last 30 years of his life Monet worked on a large series of waterlily paintings he titled, Nymphéas. They are housed in museums all over the world including, Water Lilies, 1903, at the Dayton Art Institute in Dayton, Ohio.

In 1922 Monet donated eight of these panels to the French government as a monument to the end of World War I. Visiting them seemed like the perfect finishing touch after my visit to his gardens. 

This photo is from Wikipedia as you are not allowed to take photos in these rooms.
Two adjoining, elliptical rooms, each with four large canvas panels mounted to the walls allow you to be surrounded by these quiet, peaceful paintings.  I saw the source of his inspiration one day and was now looking at his finished paintings.  

First from afar, standing in the middle of the room, my gaze scanning each wall. Then up close, two entirely different perspectives.

In the center of the room you see water, waterlilies and weeping willow fronds. There is no visible sky or banks of the pond to give you perspective.  That’s in part why this new style of painting was so shocking in its time.

Looking at the paintings closely you see a million different mixtures of color layered one on top of the next and feel the energy with which they were created. Memories of mine that will be with me the rest of my life.